This course builds on the Mechanical foundation gives students a good basic understanding of strength of materials and mechanical structures using SolidWorks ®™.
After completing the course students will be able to:
- Understand and use the strength of materials and the forces involved
- Design and build a complex model structure
- Understand how materials are integrated into the world of Mechatronics
- Understand and produce force and shear diagrams
- Apply Newton’s Laws
- Calculate loads and forces within a complex static system
- Consider various methods to calculate forces
- Investigate the stresses and strains of different materials
- Use SolidWorks ®™ to analyse the strength of structures
- Design and build a model complex structure
Tutorial Project: – build a model of a bridge and explore its strength as well as reverse engineer a hydraulic jack.
Design Project: – design, build and present a model related to the course material.
Duration: 10 weeks